Summer is the best season for gardening - you’ve got the warmth from the sun gleaming on your skin, the rays soaking into the plants and flowers, and the sprinkler is providing some sort of cool relief. Problem is, even after a couple of hours of gardening, your entire face is now a bright red from the sun.
Sure, sunblock is good prevention for sunburn, but not every sunblock is long-lasting. And sunblock doesn’t exactly help to cool you down, either.
A gardening hat is possibly the most underrated accessory in a gardener’s inventory. A proper gardening hat will provide shade for your entire face that prevents burns and helps to keep you cool. Here are the 11 best gardening hats this season that can be used all throughout summer!
OUR TOP PICK
This lightweight hat is ideal for those with short or no hair due to the useful mesh flap, which helps to protect the neck from sunburn. This Lenikis hat features an adjustable back band and is made of a quality polyester that is quick-drying and foldable - great for preventing sweat and packing in your bag to go hiking!
- The flap helps to protect the neck from sunburn
- Lightweight and quick-drying material is comfortable and non-constricting
- One size fits all with an adjustable headband
- Possibly not the most stylish hat
People with long hair like to put their hair in a ponytail to keep it out of their face while gardening, but some hats get in the way of this. This Muryabao hat, however, features a convenient hole dedicated to ponytails! It also includes a large brim that shades the forehand, buttons to style the hat differently, and adjustable drawstring, and comes in a variety of colors.
- Handy ponytail hole for comfort and convenience
- Large brim to shade the forehead from the sun
- Comes in a variety of colors and looks stylish
- Brim doesn’t shade the lower half of the face
This unisex hat provides a great amount of shade to both the face, neck, ears, and the top of your back with its large neck flap. This means you can wear a strappy top or go topless in your garden without worrying about the back of your neck and shoulders burning! Of course, wear sunblock regardless.
This hat also comes with a handy ponytail hole, a removable chin strap, and is made of quick-dry nylon material.
- Large flap covers the neck, ears, and shoulders from the sun
- A handy ponytail hole is good for keeping long hair away from the face
- Adjustable and removable chin strap included
- Not the most stylish hat
Sometimes, you just can’t go wrong with a classic bucket hat. This product comes in a large variety of colors and is easily foldable, which means it can reside in pockets or bags when you are gardening or hiking in the shade. Made of nylon mesh and polyester, this is a quick-dry and breathable hat that fits a variety of head shapes.
- Nylon mesh top provides breathability
- Lots of colors available
- Easy to fold without creating big creases
- No neck flap included
This hat offers a wide brim that provides shade for the whole face and a long flap that protects the neck and ears from burning. The material is designed to block 98% of harmful UV rays, so it will definitely prevent sunburn. It can come with a stylish bowknot strap that helps to provide a bit of style to the hat.
- Lots of shade from the large brim
- Neck flap is cooling and prevents neck burn
- Optional bow makes this a stylish hat
- Large brim might not be favored by everyone
Exude the Southern countryside look with this lovely Sunset hat! Sure, it won’t give you as much protection from the sun for your neck or ears as there’s no flap, but this is a great lightweight option for gardening in the late afternoon. Plus, it looks great, which means you can wear it literally anywhere.
- Attractive appearance is versatile for any use
- Adjustable chin strap to stop it from blowing away
- Polyester braid is breathable and flexible
- Doesn’t provide as much shade as other hats
The problem with regular caps and visors is that they don’t offer enough shade to protect the majority of the face. This hat, however, features a long brim that protects the whole face from the sun’s rays. It is a two-in-one hat that can be worn as a sun hat or a visor with its removable top. Plus it is adjustable with a cute bow strap at the back, which looks as good as it is convenient.
- Convertible into sun hat or visor
- The long brim provides good shade
- Attractive and stylish bow strap included
- No neck shade included
The clue is in the name with this hat - the brim is super wide. This hat doesn’t need a neck flap, because the brim is wide enough to provide shade for the whole head and neck. The mesh panels help to keep your head ventilated. While it’s not the most fashionable hat, it’s a great way to keep cool.
- Super wide brim covers whole head and neck with shade
- Great for humid weather due to breathable mesh
- Not super stylish
Not only does this unique hat come with a long neck flap, but it is equipped with a breathable and removable face flap that helps to provide even more UV protection. This is also great for keeping flies and bugs away from your face when gardening!
- Breathable face flap provides more UV and bug protection
- Mesh vent keeps the head ventilated
- Not the most attractive hat
If you want to be protected from the sun and still look fashionable when gardening, check out this iHomey hat! Complete with an appropriate floral-patterned reversible inside, this hat features an extra-large brim that can be partially removed to turn it into a bucket hat. The large brim means it doesn’t need a neck flap or face mesh, as it stylishly provides shade to the whole face and neck.
- Stylish reversible design is convenient and attractive
- Removable brim can be turned into a bucket hat
- The large brim provides lots of shade
- Wire brim means reshaping is required
This braided visor is equipped with SPF 50+ protection and provides a large brim to protect the face from harmful UV rays. It can be easily folded up and used in a variety of situations. The topless visor means that the top of the head has access to fresh air, though remember that the scalp can still be burnt in the sun, so this is only good for short-term use.
- Large brim protects the face from burning
- Topless visor provides easy ventilation
- Can be folded and rolled up easily without creasing
- The topless feature can burn scalp if worn for long periods